Eric Eide copied the content of this page into the report Subversion repository on June 15, 2010.
There are a great number of agencies, boards, working groups and consortia devoted to the discussion of the issues related to archiving research data. This is a non-exhaustive list.
Agencies, working groups, panels and organisations concerned with defining policies on archiving research data (with links to key reports):
- NSF 07-28, Cyberinfrastructure Vision for 21st Century Discovery: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2007/nsf0728/index.jsp
- Long-Lived Digital Data Collections: Enabling Research and Education in the 21st Century: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2006/nsf0648/NSF-06-48_5.pdf
- NSF Data sharing policy: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/gpg/nsf04_23/6.jsp - see point I
- EU FP7:
- Digital Libraries Initiative on Scientific and Scholarly Information: http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/scientific/index_en.htm
- Commission Recommendation on the digitisation and online accessibility of cultural material and digital preservation: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32006H0585:EN:HTML
- DFG (Deutsche Forschings Gemeinschaft):
- Recommendations of the Commission on Professional Self Regulation in Science http://www.dfg.de/en/dfg_profile/statutory_bodies/ombudsman/index.html
- ICSTI: International Council for Scientific and Technical Information:
- 2009 Conference Managing Data for Science: http://www.icsti2009.org/02-program-abs_e.shtml
- CODATA: International Council for Science: Committee on Data for Science and Technology:
- With ERPANET Paper on The Selection, Appraisal and Retention of Digital Scientific Data: http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue39/erpanet-rpt/
- With GEO, GEO Data Sharing Principles Implementation: http://www.codata.org/GEOSS/index.html
- PARSE.insight Group (Permanent Access to the Records of Science in Europe):
- Survey on use and needs of Research Data: http://www.parse-insight.eu/downloads/PARSE-Insight_D3-4_SurveyReport_final_hq.pdf
- http://DataCite.org: consortium focused on improving the scholarly infrastructure around datasets
- NRC BRDI: National Research Council, Board on Research Data and Information http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/brdi/index.htm:
- Reports include ‘Open Access and the Public Domain in Digital Data and Information for Science: Proceedings of an International Symposium (2004)’ http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/brdi/PGA_047287
- Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects (iPres):
- Conference report on the Preservation of Digital Objects - http://escholarship.org/uc/item/14h35961
Tools and Platforms:
- eSciDoc is a system targeted at research organizations, universities, institutes, and companies interested in eScience-aware knowledge and information management that enables you to publish, visualize, manage, and work with data artifacts (or objects). Objects include both publication data and research data across disciplines.
- eSciDoc addresses aspects of data reliability, data quality, data curation, and long-term preservation. It covers the whole lifecycle of objects and supports semantic relations between objects.
Domain-specific Data Centers: